Thursday, November 29, 2007

Show and Tell

Kelli is hosting show and tell Friday so swing over and join in the fun. Here is my show and tell today.This is a post that I have on my other blog about the spending we do around Christmas. I hope that you like this pretty hand crafted doll.

Here is the story behind this pretty doll:

I have written quite a bit about not spending money over the holidays. My reasons are many. Today I am going to explain another reason why it is so important not to spend on frivolous things, but to cherish those around you.

In 2000 my daughter was five years old. For Christmas that year she received a humbling gift. She received a home made doll. Here is the letter that came with the gift:

December 2000
This year would have been Catalina's 2nd Christmas. My plan for her Christmas present was to make her a doll. Heavenly Father decided that she was needed more with Him than here on earth, so I'll have to wait to make her that doll.
So for Christmas, I give to you the doll I would have given to her. I want you to know that each stitch was made by my hand with love. With each stitch, there is a memory of another in it. These memories I share with you along with the love from a cousin you'll not know in this life.
I want you to know that we have a Heavenly Father and that His Son Jesus was born and died for you, because He loved you so much.
Always remember that you have a special "angel" in heaven watching you. This gift is yours with love from your Aunt Melissa and your angel Catalina.

As you may have realized, precious Catalina died that year. She drowned on the day before Mother's Day 2000. She was a twin and the 3rd child. Oh was she such a love. So Melissa had to have her first Christmas without her daughter and she revealed to me that she was making this gift for Fourth. I cried a lot that year with Melissa, and still choke up. But Melissa taught me a huge lesson that year, and that is one of the main reasons that I try not to overspend (or this year spend any money) on Christmas.

The most precious gifts you can give to your family and friends is yourself. Share the love that you have, make presents for those you love and never count on any more time with those you love than you have in the moment. I promise you that you will love more, listen more, hug more and become the best mom, dad, wife, husband , friend and child that one could ask for.

Christmas is the time to celebrate the birth of our Saviour. He gave us a gift that is priceless. Before it is too late receive Jesus as your Saviour, as it will make all the difference when it is your time.

Thank you Melissa for this, as Catalina is always dear to us.

I thank you for stopping by and reading this post today.I also posted this on Pen of Jen.
Jennifer

19 comments:

LadySnow said...

That doll is precious..I started to cry when I read the note that went with her.

Martha said...

What a beautiful story! How wonderful to have the treasure of this special doll made with love and tears.

Our dear little one went home to be with Jesus 10 years ago this coming Dec 13th. I know exactly what you mean about your senses being awakend to the true important things around this time of year.

Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful story. (Feel free to stop by on Dec 13 - as I plan to do a special memoral post about our dear little Ally)

Blessings,
~Jane

Anonymous said...

She looks very sweet and I am sure filled with love. Doesn't have to be store bought to appreciate it...Homemade are the best.

Take care,
Connie

Hootin Anni said...

Wow, this letter gave me chills along my arms and down my spine while reading it.

That doll should be held and loved by us all for what it stands for....lovely S n T!!!

I have a tea set today myself for show n tell. Drop by if you can. :o)

Kelly @ The Barefoot Mama said...

Jen,

Praying God's love on Melissa this holiday season. She is a true example of Christian faith and steadfast trust in Jesus. What a beautiful doll and a beautiful message: our salvation is our greatest blessing, and it costs no earthly dollars.

Thank you SO much for sharingf this with us.

Have a weekend full of blessings! :o)

Susan said...

Oh so touching and wonderful!
Susan

Carole Burant said...

Such a precious doll indeed, with such a sad story behind it but it also has a wonderful message behind it...as you said, we don't need to spend money we don't have at Christmas time on presents...all we need is each other. xo

ellen b. said...

That is an amazing message. Thank you for sharing it. Blessings...

Unknown said...

What a beautiful gift and a beautiful story. So humbling to realize what is really important in life. A precious, precious, gift. Thank you so much for sharing that story. I am in tears, but they are happy, thankful tears for the blessings that you have pointed out in my life.

God bless!

Kathy b said...

thank you for sharing the sweet but tragic story of how the doll came into your hands. God bless Melissa for the sweet gesture.

~~Deby said...

This is precious..and so real...and wonderful...and frankly a tear jerker.....keep doing what you are doing we ALL need to hear it......I KNOW that I do and that I am blessed by your realness and writings.
Deby

Anonymous said...

Beautiful story! Thank you for sharing today!

Lana G!
http://airmiles.wordpress.com/

retha said...

I cried too!!
You are right, the power to give is our choice.

Diane Shiffer said...

How your daughter will treasure that doll! Thank you for sharing this story- it was precious.

MightyMom said...

it's beautiful!

Mommy said...

What a wonderful bittersweet story. A friend in my MOPS group lost her little boy to lukemia on the 18th, so right now with what you wrote it kind of hitting me hard.

I am making all of my kids presents this year. Or I bought gifts that were handmade.

Please say a prayer for the Underwood Family if you will. Tomorrow they leave for a family vacation. They just had their little boy funeral last Saturday.

The doll is very beautiful. :)

nannykim said...

Remarkable story---I hope the note with the doll will be used in a powerful way in your daughter's life.

Momma Roar said...

What a precious treasure and story!

TO BECOME said...

I read this on your Pen of Jen blog and my heart was so overcome that I was going to wait to comment. Here I am now so I guess it was meant for me to comment now.

Beautiful story of giving. The doll, I am sure even as she grows older will have such special meaning to Fourth.

Sometimes we fail to see that Time is the most important gift we can give those that we love. I know that I have worked hard to prepare and good meal and in the preparing, I lost much time that could have been spent in a better way to give to my family. Often times, I find my self a "Martha" leaveing off the more important things. Worring about things that years from now want even matter. I pray that we can all fill our TIME this Christmas season with giving the best gift. connie from Texas