Tuesday, July 3, 2007

America and All Her Glory



I have written several times about the idea of freedom. America is more than a place, it is an idea, or concept if you will.

I remember a family we knew in Germany(they were American). The husband worked in Germany but they were not military so they did not enjoy the American base privileges. We got to know them fairly well, and shared meals and child rearing tips. They had their second son on July 4, 1992 in a German hospital. I was not the best driver on the cobblestone, hilly streets of the quaint German town we all lived in, but I quickly made Angie a cake, and headed over.

I made a Patriotic cake for her, and the family. This son of theirs was born on foreign soil, but I will never forget what Dave, the husband said. Dave said no matter where Garrett was born, he is an American through and through.

See the concept? America is more than a place, it is a dream, a refuge, a place of hope, and a place of freedom. When I carried the American cake through the hallways, with its flags, and stars, and red, white and blue frosting, the staff at the hospital smiled and cheered. They too understood the idea, and they were happy for Dave and Angie too.

America is an awesome place, and one can be American before becoming an American. So I am just offering up this as a reminder for all of us to appreciate our citizenship in this great land.

We truly have so much and many of us seem to take for granted what we have. So take a moment and reflect about our great land!
Jennifer

Oh and Happy 15th Birthday Garrett!!!

2 comments:

No Apology said...

It's a timely reminder, Jen. We are born into the dream. If we want to keep that dream alive, we must be willing to do and say what is necessary to fight for it, regardless of what anybody says. That's what makes us Americans. Good work!

TO BECOME said...

I am proud to be an American! I am thankful that I was born in the Land of the free and the home of the brave. God bless America and all her wonderful people. HAVE A HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY, EVERYONE. CONNIE FROM Texas